Sunday, January 10, 2010

MY FIRST ARABIAN NIGHT




January 7, 2010

NIGHT ONE - DOHA, QATAR
Arrived at DOHA INTERANTIONAL AIRPORT in pretty fair condition after 2 flights - the first a 4-hour to Houston and then a 13 hour direct flight into Doha ... QATAR AIRWAYS is the best! There were a total of 6 people in Business Class which means I had an attendant to myself ... I was totally spoiled and I barely had to glance up and there was someone either bringing me something or asking if I wanted more of what I already had ... more French Chanpagne?? So not only did I get the typical First Class kit with lotions and slippers and eye mask,, but a set of pajamas! 2 pillows with linen cases and a comfy blanket, the better to sleep in the power operated reclining beds with massage,, OK, OK I hear you ... enough right?? Sorry I won't go on (even though I could) .. Jeffrey was there to pick me up at the airport, which was a breeze to navigate and getting through immigration and customs was a snap, thanks again to QATAR AIRWAYS special business class line! J The handsome men wearing the dishdash (sp) - traditional white shirtdress, .. western collar, long sleeves w / cuffs then falls to the ankle and I see sandaled brown feet poking out, were all around. There were plenty of westerners .. Yeah even the dude with the baggy shorts and unlaced sport shoes ugh! Next stop my hotel, a nice refreshing gin and tonic with cucumber at the bar with Jeffrey and Brenda and then .... Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Awoke to the sounds of birds chirping .. even though it was still dark, the moon was out and whoo hoo,. Fog! Must be a silent communiqué from San Francisco ... I tried to go back to sleep but kept getting up see the birds and check my view .. I am at the Ritz-Carlton ... in a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the water, Palm trees on lush grounds with numerous pools and fountains, an array of little luxuries and services you would expect to find at a 5-star hotel ..
So, down to the restaurant for breakfast - I walked into a gorgeous 2 story space opening on to the gardens with a most impressive endless spread of fresh breads and pastries, meats, cheeses, fruits, cereals, drinks, etc etc, I had coffee , a couple of slices of some beautiful full grained bread, halloumi cheese, fig jam w / cardamom seeds, seder honey, fresh melon, grapefruit, oranges, Foul Madame (a bean dish) yogurt, coffee .... I resisted the pastries and meats!
This is probably where my luxury stops ... I will head over to EZDAN SUITES, my permanent "residence for the next 30 days. More later and a picture or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment